- A scale that doesn't budge, no matter much you exercise or how fervently you diet?
- You have low energy?
- Your skin is starting to wrinkle, and you're not old enough to have wrinkles?
- Your skin is breaking out?
- You suffer from mood swings?
- Your monthly cycle is irregular? (girls...)
- You feel tired no matter how much sleep you get?
- You keep losing and gaining the same weight?
These things used to describe Jillian too. Until she realized that her hormones were out of balance. And once she did something about it, things began to fall into place. She used to restrict her diet to 1200 calories per day and work out like a dog 6 days a week to struggle to maintain 120 lbs (she's 5'2'' - just like me!), and would instantly put on 15 lbs just from increasing her diet to 1500 calories per day (which is reasonable and appropriate). Once she was able to balance her hormones, she now maintains a sleek 115 lbs and eats 1800 to 2000 calories per day and only has to exercise 3-4 days a week (although, she really brings it when she does!).
So what is the secret you ask???? Well, you really ought to read the book to be able to appreciate the full spectrum of the problem and the solutions. Its an excellent book, and I burned through it in a matter of days. But in case you don't have time at the moment, I'll share the synopsis.
Basically, the chemicals, hormones, pesticides, additives, preservatives, etc. that are coating the food we consume, are throwing our hormones out of whack! Seriously, you gotta read the book to really understand it. But common sense will tell you that this crap can't possible be good for you, right??
Ok, so the synopsis I promised....
Rule 1 - Eat clean. Buy organic as much as resonably possible an avoid as much as you can any foods which have any additives or chemcials. Unprocessed, whole foods are best. What ever you do, avoid like the plague any foods that contain:
- hydrogentated fats (even partially hydrogenated)
- Refined grains (make sure the ingredient list says 100% whole grain!)
- high fructose corn syrup (this one is a toughie - its in SO much!)
- Artificial sweetners (sorry, the Diet Coke, even though 0 calories, is working against you!)
- Artificial coloring or preservatives
Rule 2 - Fill up on lots of these foods!!!
- legumes (beans)
- alliums (onions, garlic, etc.)
- berries (organic, otherwise, they are sprayed heavily in pesitcides!)
- meat and eggs (she said eggs are nearly the perfect food, don't worry about the cholesterol)
- Colorful fruits and veggies
- Cruciferous veggies unless you are hypothyroid (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.)
- Dark green leafy veggies
- Nuts and seeds
- Dairy (ALWAYS organic!)
- Whole grains (again, make sure its 100%. It only has to be 51% whole to be able to say its whole grain!)
Additionally, Jillian recommends you sleep at least 7, but no more than 9 hours a night. Use organic personal products inasmuch as you possibly can (your skin is afterall your largest organ, and we coat it with chemicals daily with non-organic shampoos, washes, etc.). Use glass food storage containers, and make sure you do not eat out of any plastics that contain BPA. Also, replace your chemical-based cleaners, with simple (and inexpensive) natural cleaners.
Ok, so I'm cheap. I can't just throw stuff out like Jillian urges me to. But, I do plan on buying organic and all-natural products from here on out. I have a known and previously diagnosed hormonal imbalances that made it difficult for me to become or stay pregnant. If these changes can help, well then, I'm all for that!!!!!